Monday, May 14, 2012

Homestead Life - Lots of Chores and A Little Weaving

This past few days has been a whirl wind of chores here on our little homestead.  All three gardens are tilled and now have begun to be planted with the first round of plants.

Up first up is our little garden, I planted 24 tomato plants, 5 rosemary plants and an entire flat of marigolds in this garden.  If a lightening storm passes through I wonder if all the steel tomato cages will draw the lightening bolts!  Quick way to make fried green tomatoes....


Second up is our big garden in this shot you can see 4 of the 5 bean bamboo tee-pees I set up to grow heirloom beans along with some blue lake and kentucky wonder beans.  In the foreground you can just see the onions and garlic growing merrily away.  On the left hand side of the picture is one of the lattice systems my dear husband made for me to grow cucumbers, squash and pumpkins on.  Growing those crops vertically saves room in the garden and makes harvest really easy.  Personally I think they are kind of cool looking too.



Here is a shot of the grape arbor my husband built for me. These vines are my very first attempts at growing concord grapes they even have tiny little grapettes on them already.
Grape Arbor


Here is my supervisor Sam Wise resting in the shade of the workshop while he guards my Mother's Day presents.  Hubby made me the wooden trellis and bought a lovely climbing rose to grow up that lattice for my Mom's Day present.  I think it is so nice to have a present that will be around for awhile don't you?  The other small green plants you see are a nice variety of herbs and young asparagus plants.  When we moved into this place last November I discovered about 20 red brick edgers in the storage shed.  Decided that they would be perfect to edge my herb garden.  After spending several days digging the edgers into the ground and hauling many loads of dirt from our big garden I had a nice bed to plant my much loved herb garden.  Here you can see the results of a whole lot of hard work.


This is a shot of my brand new chicken coop.  I found the weather vane on etsy - www.etsy.com/shop/swenproducts - the flying pig is wonderful and adds a bit of whimsy to the coop.  In a few more weeks I will have baby chicks to brood and shortly after that they will get to live in their new house and run.  These girls will be my first venture into chickens and I am most excited about it.



Another chore around the homestead in the warmer months is something I just love to do - hang laundry on the line outside.  The smell of fresh clean wind blown sheets on your bed at night in the summer time is one of life's little pleasures.  We set this little laundry line up last week and this is it's maiden voyage.



Not to be forgotten, is my weaving studio where I am working on a Monk's belt pattern that I spent several days working out by hand on graph paper.  So far so good, I think I like it.



My newest toy for the weaving shop is a 4 hole angel wing set to hold my lease sticks.  This is my very first time working with this contraption and I have to say it is working really well.  Had to wait almost 2 months for my order of angel wings to be delivered - Purrington Looms is backed up and Bruce the owner is swamped with orders.  It was worth the wait, the angel wings are made well and do the job they are designed to do.  All in all money well spent.  Oh and before I forget, just ignore the dangling threads....not sure what to tell you about that over estimation of warp....you guys are weavers I am pretty sure you will understand.


Hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather and getting outside to work on your gardens.  

Until next time,
as always....
Happy Weaving!





5 comments:

  1. Martha, LOVE this post and adore the chicken coop. I do hope you'll come by again so I can give you a real tour of our place. But 26 tomato plants...what are you , a farmer for Heinz?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks so neat and orderly! And your chicken coop is too cute. I would love to have some bamboo for garden poles, tipis, and things. Thanks for the link to the weather vanes. We've been looking for one that will fit the theme of what we're doing here. Reasonably priced too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, yep I lost my mind on the tomato plants - but in my defense I do a lot of canning - salsa, ketchup, chili sauce, pizza sauce, etc. I would love to drop by and tour your wonderful farm- have to check our schedule - when is good for you?

    Leigh - The weather vane is made beautifully - worth each and every penny. Swen has a huge selection of vanes to choose from, I am pretty sure you will find one you love. The bamboo poles are cheap and can be found at most garden stores or from Gardener's catalog. The poles last for a few seasons, I think they work better after they are a least a year old - they get rough and vines can grow up them with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of your gardening work! You are definitely ahead of us in the planting schedule. I also put an herb garden in this weekend--the husband made me a small raised bed very near the kitchen door so it would be handy. And I am so impressed with the coop! It will be so much fun to hear about the chicks. The angel wing is a tool I have never heard of. It looks very useful! Does it make warping easier?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flyin', I first heard about the Angel Wing device when reading Laura Fry's blog, Laura uses one while warping her looms. As I admire and trust Laura's judgement and teaching skills I just knew that this tool would come in handy. After using it to during the warping process (I use a warping valet/trapeze) I am pleased with the results. In answer to your question - yes, it did help make the warping process go a little faster. Now, if it would rain around here so my garden's get a big drink of much needed water.

    ReplyDelete