Monday, June 4, 2012

Running Monks

Disaster was averted but only narrowly...after spending several days weaving up some Monk's Belt towels with some lovely dark red and green 5/2 yarn as the band colors.   I tossed the towels into the wash only to come back and find the red yarn had bled all over the white towel bodies.  What a mess!

As you can imagine this turn of events upset me greatly.  Not wanting to waste these towels I decided to try some dye remover and hope for the best.  Thought it a bit strange that this yarn ran so badly.  I have used it many times with no problems.  Why the red dye ran so badly this time is one for the books, I used the same procedures and detergents I always use.

Well, as you can see....  the red is now a lovely dark shade of gold (never expected the red to turn in to gold, strange how dyes can react).  The dark green yarn remained the same with no change to the original color.  Thankfully I now have towels I can sell in my shop.  Whew, mischief managed...






Not sure why the camera makes the small bands look almost black, they are really green.


Although I really did love the original dark red bands the gold color I ended up with is just fine.  Nice to know that at least these towels did not end up in the rag bag.  

On the homestead front, the chicks are growing fast!  We have not lost any of our original number.  The girls are already starting to get wing feathers and stubby little tails.


Sorry for the blurry picture, but the little girls are fast on their feet.




The tiny little almost white chick in the center of the shot is half the size of her sisters.  We have named her Weenut.  Weenut has the most adorable curly feathered feet.  We are curious to see how big she will be when she is full grown which I am happy to say I am pretty sure will happen because she is by far the most bossy of the group.

Back to the grind stone for me.  Happy Weaving!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen red bleed that much, and so strange that you've used it before with no issues - what a relief that the resulting gold looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to save all your hard work. Dyes are certainly interesting! Love, love, love to see your chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicks are so cute! And the grow so fast.

    I have to say I love the green and gold in the towels and was surprised to read about them. I've always found red an unpredictable color to work with. Chalk a huge one up for whatever brand dye remover you used! What a relief none remained in the white, even if you did lose all the red.

    ReplyDelete