Friday, July 13, 2012

Pirate Sashes

Finally finished weaving the two pirate sashes I have been working on for the last week.  They started life on the loom at 100 inches long and 14 inches wide.  After washing and ironing they are each 97 inches long not including the fringe and just shy of 12 inches wide.  Not a bad ending to a big project.  

Modeled on my dress form with a very old pirate shirt I made for the hubs several years ago I present a ruby red and black pirate sash.




 You will have to imagine the sash tied around the pirate's middle with a sword and several guns peaking out at various places around said pirate's waist.  Mr. Pirate refuses to let me take any pictures of him in his complete outfit so you will have to use your imagination.  With all the sewing and weaving I do for his pirate outfit you would think I get to take a picture of him duded up!  Yes, I know the shirt has not been ironed ... do you know any pirates who iron their shirts?



In this shot you can get a better idea of the overall pattern.   I still think this particular pattern looks like Maltese crosses.  I love to weave with tencel because it behaves well and weaves like butter and I have never had a project I did not like when I have used it.   After wet finishing and ironing both of the sashes drape well making it easy for said pirates to tie them.



All in all not a bad week of weaving.  Next project on the horizon...clothing for me to wear to the renaissance fair.  I have some very expensive (meaning I would never buy the fabric for myself) red silk my sister sent from India and some steel boning and a short time to make it all work....off to the sewing machine.  Did I mention I adore draping and sewing my own costumes and period correct clothing?  Time is wasting.....

Happy Weaving!



4 comments:

  1. Arggghhhh! Those be mighty fine sashes indeed. 9/19/12 is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sashes! I love snowflake twill... its such a classic!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sashes look absolutely fantastic x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful , now please post your Ren Faire costume!! I want to see what you do with the red silk :)
    GGO

    ReplyDelete