Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Double the trouble....


Why is it I wait so long to get Christmas presents finished?  After three days of threading over 900 lilac and purple 5/2 cotton threads I finally got to sit down and begin weaving yesterday.  

Not.

Let me tell you a secret, I am a bit embarrassed to share this but I royally messed up.  This throw is supposed to be a colonial double weave - blooming leaf overshot pattern.  Does it look like overshot to you?  Nah....Seems I forgot something very elemental.

I have a countermarch loom with 6 treadles.  To weave this pattern you need to be able to use three treadles at the same time, and as we all know (well, apparently not me) you cannot do that on a countermarch loom.  Rats!  Foiled again.

What to do?  First I tried tying up just the rising treadles, this method did not work the shed was really bad.  Next I tried tying up each separate treadle to accomplish all the patterns I needed.  Did not work, I don't have enough treadles to do that and there is no way I wanted to keep climbing under the loom to retie every so often.  Too time consuming and too hard on the back.

That leaves me with two options.  One option - use what I had already threaded - remember it took me three full days to thread this pattern.  Option two - rethread a totally different pattern and get on with it.  Time is short, Christmas is mere days away....

While contemplating my problem it occurred to me that I had threaded a shadow weave pattern.  Lilac thread, dark purple thread, lilac thread, etc.

"Shadow weave looks like twill but it is really plain weave with scattered 2-thread floats" (sounds like I know what I am talking about, but I read this in Madelyn van der Hoogt's "Complete Book of Drafting For Handweavers").  After reading this, I decided to use what I already had on the loom and decided to weave a shadow weave twill pattern.



Mind you this is not how I wanted the throw to turn out, but it will do for now.

My next adventure is tie onto this warp with another shadow weave warp to weave a darker version of this throw for my Grandson.  Having never tied one warp to another I hope this experiment goes well, wish me luck.

Until then....happy weaving.

7 comments:

  1. Well that's the prettiest mistake I've seen in a while! We would not have known if you didn't tell us...

    Tying on? You are a brave woman...

    :) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan. The prettiest mistake I've seen in a while too!

    I tying on is a piece of cake. You will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only my mistakes were as lovely as that!
    It may not be what it started out to be, but it is beautiful in what it is. Lucky giftee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I love shadow weave so as I'm concerned it wasn't a mistake, it was destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! It's not a mistake, it's an innovation (sorry I deleted my earlier comment because I sued the wrong it's)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your nice and encouraging comments, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete