Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Around The Studio


Finally finished the 5/2 cotton throws I have been working on for the last few weeks.  This was the project where I had to tie on 900+ threads - something I never want to do again.  These throws are for my twin grandchildren.  She is a very girly-girl and loves purple and he is all-boy which made me think dark colors might be best for him.  Although the original draft is not what I wanted I think they turned out beautifully.  


This is the sewing corner in my studio.  On the right-hand side is my "new" treadle sewing machine cabinet that Santa brought me.  If you look closely on the right side of this machine you can just see the sewing cabinet my father made from old sewing cabinet drawers, it is stuffed full of various parts and accessories for my machines.  You have probably guessed that I prefer older machines, these two are all-metal ladies that Mr. Singer made to last forever.   The beige machine I named Frannie in honor of my paternal Grandmother - she is a model 501A or better known as a Rocketeer.  The black machine is my workhorse, Tilley a Singer 121A - she only sews regular straight stitches but she does them perfectly and with little fuss.    I love my old girls.


My newest studio acquisition, is a reindeer pelt from Lapland.  Isn't it beautiful?  After learning that a lot of Scandinavian weavers use these pelts on their weaving benches I discovered that Joanne Hall at Glimakra USA was a distributor.  Note the tail hanging off the bench - not something you see every day.


What I found interesting was the way the pelt can be secured to your weaving bench.  Grommets and texsolve, brillant!



Running with that idea I quickly dug out my grommet setting machine punched some holes in one of my sheepskin bench covers added the grommets and texsolve and walah a secure way to keep the skin on my bench.   


Thought you might be interested to learn how I keep scissors from wandering away from my looms.  A magnet I found at the local hardware store has been screwed into the uprights of my loom.  I put my scissors, needles and pins on it.  That way my scissors are always in easy reach.  The coin you see attached to the loom is from Ireland - a good luck piece.



Another item I have in my studio that I cannot do without is my loom side table  (a pine stool from Ikea).  On the stool I keep my weaving draft/treadling information within easy reach.  Shuttles, pencils and the like are kept on this table.


Hope you enjoyed my little studio tour.

Happy Weaving!



10 comments:

  1. Loved the tour! Now you've motivated me to clean up my own studio. A long overdue task

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reindeer pelt! You are one lucky weaver! I hope it serves you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that grommet idea - my sheepskin pelts are always moving on my benches, will have put grommets on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, I am sure your studio is just fine the way it is!

    Spryte, thanks so far I really like it.

    Cindie, not sure why I never thought of using grommets before...glad to have discovered them. I used to use tarp clamps but they are heavy and a pain to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, what a treat this tour was. Love the reindeer pelt, and the spot for scissors. Your sewing machines though, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Weaving Community? Our members will love it.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Photos, Videos and Classifieds if you like. It’s free and easy.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    The Weaving Community: http://www.vorts.com/weaving/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your vintage machines! I have a brother select-o-matic from the 1950s its a gorgeous jade blue green with chrome. it looks petite but weighs a ton! your cabinets are to dye for (for a vintage junkie like me)new stuff is nice but usually "new to me" is even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, I so agree vintage and new to me is the way to go. Your brother machine must be a beauty, I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tour of your studio. It looks so much neater than mine .... I'm embarrassed to take pictures of it. Love your bench and am going to show it to my woodworking husband. I am putting your link on my blog, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Connie, Welcome to my little studio. You are welcome to link if you wish.

    ReplyDelete