Friday, February 8, 2013

Taquete & Stripes

I have been working with a new to me weave draft known as taquete and having a lot of fun while doing so.  Went through my stash of bright 8/2 unmerc cottons pulling together some nice bright colors.  Warped in a stripe pattern of 14 threads per block using 2 related colors for each stripe/block then moving on to the next stripe/block carrying one of the original colors with me and discarding the remaining color while picking up a new color.  400+ threads later I was done warping.  Lots of fun playing with the color combinations.

Onto to the loom went the warp, a quick thread picking up whatever color came to hand from my cross a nice tie-on and it was off to the races.


It is amazing to see how different each towel looks.  I used a different weft color on each towel, starting  on the left I used bright yellow, green, lilac and finallypurple for the last towel.  My camera just doesn't do justice to the colors they are brighter and clearer in person.


Believe it or not these towels are from the very same warp.  Good old plain weave but my didn't they surprise me when I was weaving them.  Again I used different weft colors for each towel.  Starting from the left Fuschia, light orange, teal blue.  I like them all.

Next time I try weaving with taquete I will warp differently and will use solid blocks of color instead of the blending I did this time.

Happy Weaving!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Great colors, beautiful weave. You must have had a lot of fun and the wheels must be turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your use of color is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! i really like how you did plain weave vs taquete.it made a nice "study of color vs texture"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Beautiful. Taquete is difficult and I do it too. Have a nice week. MalinSj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha, these are beautiful! Your use of color is spot on. Well done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, those are gorgeous! I've never heard of taquete so now must go look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again to all of you for your more than generous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well dang, glad I checked back because my comment didn't appear. The towels are lovely, the colors perfect and I hope you leave some of those spring brights around to remind you that bright and cheery is just around the calendar corner!

    ReplyDelete