Friday, August 9, 2013

Taming Wild Linen

After several years of using linen in the weft of textiles I decided to tighten my belt and use some beautiful variegated linen in both warp and weft.


The weft in this runner is a softly variegated salmon and dark beige combination that has been rattling around in my stash for eons.


Don't you love it that changing the way we treadle a draft can produce so many different looking results.  The warp and weft created an almost ikat looking weave in this table runner.


These napkins where a pleasure to weave using some beautiful bleached linen as the weft.  Somehow the resulting pattern reminds me of Aspen trees up in the Rockies.

  
The last set of napkins really show off the graduations of beige to white in the linen yarn.  Have to say that this warp was a joy to weave.  Taming the wild springy linen was not as difficult as I imagined it would be, a few spritzes of rose scented water on the warp threads did the trick.  

Happy Weaving

Please visit my   Etsy shop  --  Thistle Rose Weaving   by clicking here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThistleRoseWeaving





8 comments:

  1. your talent is so amazing! I am so looking forward to fall this year so I can start wearing the beautiful red scarf (with blue variations). Yes, a whole season planned around one scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these......they are so classy. Maybe linen is not so intimidating after all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Martha, they look great and I love the pattern that you have woven, it makes the yarn sing and the colours come alive :)
    A truly wonderful piece of weaving x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, what took you so long?! Beautiful work and those napkins will be a joy to use for YEARS to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am seriously impressed! These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words about my work, it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete