Monday, December 2, 2013

Life Gets Busy






It has been a long while since I have posted anything here.  As they say life gets busy and busy is exactly what we have been for the last few weeks.

For those of you who don't know - our home sustained some damage from a category EF4 tornado on November 17th.  The damage we sustained is nothing compared to the 1000+ people in our neighboring town of Washington, IL who lost everything.  Holes in the siding and blue tarps on our roof along with a lot of collateral damage are nothing when your neighbors lose everything they own.  We are humbled and happy to have survived the twister when so many are hurting.

I did manage to get a bit of weaving done, worked on an overshot patterned scarf.  Last Christmas I wove a similar scarf and I thought I would reprise it again this year.  The scarf is woven with some soft and lush mini mochi merino wool that has long repeating color graduations of dark cranberry red changing to a dark gold.  I used two dark red tencel yarns as the weft to give some depth to the scarf.   The scarf is hard to photograph because my camera just doesn't seem to be able to pick up the right intensity of the colors.  I think the finished scarf looks very warm and reminds me a a glowing fire.


Happy Weaving.

Please visit my   Etsy shop  --  Thistle Rose Weaving   by clicking here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThistleRoseWeaving




7 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were in the tornado area - so glad you fared well for what happened there - my thoughts are with all those who lost their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glad you only had "minor" damage, compared to others. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Martha,
    So glad you are all okay. I've only been through hurricanes, never tornados. How scary.And prayers to all those that lost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you were affected! But as you said, its hard when neighbours have lost much more. Its keeps things in perspective. Its just good to know that you are all okay and can patch and rebuild.
    Hugs, Susan and Bruce and Ms Calli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you guys are well. We can replace things, we can't replace our friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about the tornado damage. Even if it is 'only' minor damage compared with others, it is still a tremendous drain on energy and time to have to deal with repairs - particularly when so many have been affected and the pace of recovery is slow. I hope you find peace and quiet in your time at the loom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Martha, I did not know about the tornado damage! That muts have been terribly scary for you. I'm so glad it wasn't worse.

    The scarf is a real eye catcher! I can almost feel the texture through the photo.

    ReplyDelete