Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Spring Brings Chores


With spring finally here in the central plains my life is getting busy with gardens to plant and tend, chicken wrangling and plenty of mowing chores.   It has been hard to find time to weave let alone sit down for any length of time.  I did manage to finish a cotlin warp on my big Glimakra and I am most pleased with the resulting towels.  This version was done in purple with two rows of kiwi accents.


The magenta and rose stripes on this version of the towel warp are nice a feminine.


This year I am trying something new, I am attempting to weave one or two Christmas textiles with each warp I put on the loom.  


My old Singer Rocketeer finally wore out, hard to believe but she is gone.  Above is my "new"  Singer 401A - she is in great condition and I am most pleased to report that I am her second owner.  The original owner bought her in 1957 from a Singer Store in PA and has had her ever since.  This machine does not have a lot of sewing hours on her and runs like the day she was made.  After I got her, I totally disassembled her as is my way when bringing home new equipment.   She has been gone through with a fine tooth comb and given lots of TLC, oil and lube and a brand new bobbin winder tire.  Now she is raring to go.  I will miss my old Rocketeer but the 401A is a great machine and I know we will have many years of sewing together.

Happy Weaving!

Please visit my   Etsy shop  --  Thistle Rose Weaving   by clicking here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThistleRoseWeaving



10 comments:

  1. Lovely towels.
    What a fun machine, it must be a workhorse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your towels! Cotlin is so thick and thirsty.....

    The new 'old' machine will soon win your heart over.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sewing machine is a Singer Featherweight--it's just my speed! Your towels are gorgeous and perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a Featherweight and a Singer 201 - love the all metal sewing machines.

      Delete
  4. Oh lovely towels and have fun with that 401A. They are nice machines. I had one for a while and they are good sturdy workhorses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing better than a vintage sewing machine. It will last for years. I have a Singer 201 that I love to sew on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of your new Singer brought back happy/sad memories. My beloved grandmother gave me that very same model Singer as a wedding present in 1961. It was a wonderful machine, very sturdy and reliable. Sadly, it was stolen in a home burglary and I was never able to replace it. I've had other machines, but none will take the place of this old workhorse. Thanks for the great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The towels are lovely - is that an 8H pattern?

    Good idea with trying to get a Christmas present out of each towel warp all year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Peg, yes you are correct I used an 8 shaft pattern found in the Davidson book and modified a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a rocketeer that I love as well and it is good to know that the 401 A is just as useful. Also have a 15-91 that I love the old metal machines are dreams. Deb

    ReplyDelete