Sunday, October 30, 2016

A Rare Beauty




My new to me loom, a Structo Artcraft Floor Loom, model 816, serial number 80-253.  Structo stamped their manufacturing dates on the reeds that went with their looms.  The original reed is
stamped 9-27-38 which means she is at least 78 years old.  Just think all the history this loom has seen, everything from two world wars, the space race, the beginning of the computer age and much more.

I do love her tiger stripe rock maple wood.  I just finished putting her together and wiping her down with some Howard's Wax and Feed, she is glowing.



The Structo catalog from 1939 shows this floor loom for sale, but it was no longer available in the 1941 catalog.  It has been speculated that these floor looms were only made for a very few years and possibly that they were made to order.  Confirmation of this information and the lack of these looms in today's market leads one to believe that they might have not been a stock item, unlike the famous metal table looms that are still in demand today.

There have been a few modifications made to the loom, the treadle chains were replaced with texsolv for ease of tie up.  The sectional beam was adjusted so that the pegs are now on the inside of the beam, I don't sectionally warp so this is a plus for me.  Cotton webbing was installed on the sectional beam so that a rod can be inserted into the webbing for holding the warp on the beam.



The loom also came with a plain beam and a hex beam.  The hex beam holds the famous Structo metal warping spools.  If you look at the picture of the back of the loom you can just barely see the green hex beam sitting above the sectional beam.  Note the size of the cast iron ratchet wheel - the beam circumference is one yard.  

The original spools have some grungy white cotton wound on them.  I won't be using these spools at all, but they are interesting to look at.  Suppose someone with one of the Structo table looms might be interested in buying the spools.  It is my understanding that the spools are super hard to find.  

I took the canvas apron off the front beam and replaced it with brand new heavy beam texsolv cording and a nice oak bar for tying on.

Proof positive that this loom is a Structo Artcraft Loom is the original name plate and even more proof is on the cast iron take up handle - it is engraved with the word Structo.   Yes, Structo really did make floor looms but I would venture to say they are as rare as hen's teeth.  There is only one other loom like this one that I am aware of and it belongs to a weaver in New Mexico.

I believe I am the 5th weaver to own this loom, although that is not set in stone.  It is a wonderful loom and I am very lucky to have found her.  The weaver I bought her from did a wonderful job of bringing her back to life, thank you Tom!

Happy Weaving!

Please visit my  Etsy shop  --  Thistle Rose Weaving by clicking here -


4 comments:

  1. What a find! I can't wait to see your first project on the loom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm betting you have a warp in process if not already on!
    She IS a beauty! Am I counting correctly, 9 treadles? Weaving width?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No warp yet, I ordered brand new reeds for the loom they are on the way. The loom is 45" 8 shafts, 10 treadles and I really want to weave on her!

      Delete
  3. That's SO Exciting! And she's a beauty! She's glowing. I bet you are, too! I look forward to seeing what "music" you make together!

    ReplyDelete